Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Trivial Quiz And My Totally Biased Answer


Question: What do these books and authors have in common?

Canterbury Tales
The Bible
Shakespeare
Walt Whitman
Huck Finn
Tolkien
Dr. Seuss

Answer: You linguists out there might be thinking that these are the definitive English works.  Well, if you are, you're wrong.

Name a better character than Piglet.  Hamlet--close but no cigar.  How about Pooh?  Sorry, Bilbo.  How about Tigger?  Puck is Shakespeare's best attempt, but Tigger is better.  And he's not obnoxious.

The definitive English work is Winnie the Pooh because it is really funny and I said so.  You need to stop arguing and go read it, okay, because then you'll know that I'm totally biased and right.

7 comments:

Spencer Ellsworth said...

Calvin and Hobbes would leave Pooh sitting in a pile of his own stuffing-blood.

Chrissy said...

My siblings and I often quote pooh. The favorite:
Would you like anymore?
Is there anymore?
No Pooh, there isn't

Melanie said...

Hahahahaha. That is an awesome Pooh quote Chrissy. Pretty sure you just made it one of our favorite quotes.

Melanie said...

Yeah Calvin and Hobbes is pretty cool... for a Winnie the Pooh knock-off. :)

Rebecca said...

Since when is the Bible an English work?

I think Pooh is boring. I also hate flowers and sunshine and America.

Chad Howland said...

Everyone who's anyone (apparently Rebecca is not anyone) knows that the King James Version of the Bible was a definitive English work. Some people will never learn.

P.S. I like Ike.

Grant148 said...

I will name a better character than piglit, Logan ecoloes becca can back me up on that.